In 1913, more than a century ago, Walter Miller of Stratford, was instrumental in acquiring the first parcel of land off of Romeo Street that would be developed into a permanent golf course for the city. The Stratford Country Club presents a challenging, mature 18 hole golf course that lies along the Avon River and provides just the right amount of challenge for golfers of all abilities! It is a golf club that traces its beginnings back to 1896 when William Maynard began golfing in the open fields north of the Avon River. Nine holes opened in the spring of 1914, 6 of which remain in play today. An additional 9 holes were designed by Canadian legend Al Balding and added in 1970.